Shankhapushpi: An Ayurvedic Brain Tonic
|#Shankhapushpi: ayurvedic brain tonic|
Shankhapushpi, an ayurvedic medicinal herb is considered as a promoter of life span strength and intellect. Medically it is used as medhya (brain tonic), laxative, aphrodisiac, nervine tonic, rejuvenator, health promoting and complexion promoting. It also acts as a tranquilizer, haemostatic, hypnotic, anti-epileptic, and anti-hysterical.
ShankhapushpiCommon Name: Winged stem canscora, Mangalya kusuma, Shankhahul
Botanical Name: Convolvulus pluricaulis
Active Agents: Carbohydrate D-glucose, maltose, rhamnose, sucrose, glacial acetic acid, scoploetin, kaempferol, convoline, beta-sitosterolOther Different Names:
- Hindi: Shankhavali, Shankhahuli
- Sanskrit: Medhya, Mangalya Kusuma, Visnukranta, Kseerpushipi
- Punjabi: Porpang, Dodak.
The name ‘Shankhapushpi’ has been given because of its flowers shape and size, which are in the shape of conch or shanka. Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) is widely known among the common people and medical fraternity because of its effectiveness for brain, that’s why, it is commonly known as a brain tonic. Since, it shows beneficial impacts for brain; the herb has earned good reputation in India and abroad among the pharmaceuticals companies. There are three main herbal brain tonics e.g., brahmi, vacha and shankhapushpi. Acharya Charaka said that Shankhapushpi is the best among the three and is considered foremost among the four medhya rasayanas.
Shankhpushpi and Ayurveda
From ayurvedic point of view, it is oily and slippery in nature. It is cool and bitter in taste. Metabolic activity is sweet and specific action is intellect promoting.
Shankhpushpi Benefits and Natural CureIt is beneficial for many diseases and disorders such as insomnia, hysteria, Insanity, high blood pressure and depression.
- Memory: It is good to promote memory. Method: Take Shankhapushpi extract (2 to 4 teaspoon) and milk (1 glass). Mix it and take and regularly both in the morning and evening. It is good for memory and loss of memory. It is also beneficial for sleeplessness, Intestinal worms, high blood pressure, hysteria and insanity.
- Insanity: The medicinal herb is good for insanity, hysteria and epilepsy. Method: Take the wonder Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis) (1teaspoon), Dudiavacha (Acorus Calamus) (1teaspoon), Meetha Kuth (Saussurea Lappa) (1/4 teaspoon) and Honey (1 teaspoon). Now, make a fine powder of these. Before taking the formulation, one can mix with honey and lick it, two times a day, followed by one glass of milk. It is beneficial in case of sleeplessness, hysteria, epilepsy, insanity and loss of memory.
- Sleeplessness: The use of Shankhapushpi is good in case of sleeplessness. Method: Shankhapushpi (40-80 gm), milk (1glass) and Jeera (little amount), gives good results.
- High blood pressure: The herb is beneficial in treating high blood pressure. Method: Take the powder of the herb (2-4 gm) thrice a day. Shankhapushpi sharbat can be taken as a single herb or adjuvant to other modern medicines.
- Headache: If you are suffering from chronic headache, tension, frustration, etc., it is suggested to take Sharbat of Shankhapushpi twice a day for good result.
- Burning sensation in the body: Shankhapushpi can be dried at home in a shady place and powder it and a teaspoonful of this powder can be taken daily. The powder can besoaked overnight and the water strained and drinks in the morning. It is also taken as a cooling Sharbat in summer.
- Heart problems: The herb and its formulations with medicinal ayurvedic plants are good to treat heart problems. Method: Prepare the mix of Shankhapushpi (c. Pluricaulis) ( 2 teaspoon), Arjun bark (Terminalia Arjuna)(2 teaspoon), Amla Churan (Phyllanthus Emblica): 2 teaspoon, Punarnava Churan (Boerhavia diffusa) : 2 teaspoon, Puskarmool churan (Inula Racemosa): 10 gm./2 teaspoon Mix and grind together to make a fine powder. Take two teaspoons twice a day.
- Longevity: It is scientifically proved that the use of the herb along with ghee is good for longevity of life and to strengthen the nervous system.
- Anxiety: A “clinical study on the role of medhya rasayana and panchkarma therapy in anxiety states”, explored that medhya rasayana herbs like Shankhapushpi and brahmietc. along with Jatamansi quath is recommended to the patients of anxietystates.
- Stress: The medicinal plant is also beneficial in combating of stress.
- Shankhapushpi Sharbat contains Shankhpushpi and Brahmi, both are known for their memory boosting power.
- Shankhapushpi Sharbat is an all-natural herbal preparation
- It is quite the brain tonic for those suffering from stress-induced lapses of attention, poor memory, damaged logic and reasoning, insomnia and mental fatigue