Jatiphala(Nutmeg): A Medicinal Herb in Ayurveda for Digestion
Jatiphala or Jaiphal is commonly called Nutmeg is found to have various health benefits and it is a significant herb in Ayurveda. It is an appetizer, aromatic & astringent. It helps in preventing the expulsion of flatulence & thus acts as a good digestive. It is known to balance kapha and vata doshas. It is a source of many oils, proteins, minerals & resins.
Therapeutic uses of Jaiphal or Jatiphala:
- Very useful in clearing throat, cough, asthma, throat pain, irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea due to its water absorbing and sputum absorbing properties.
- It reduces bad breath in mouth, moisture in mouth and excessive thirst.
- Can be used to relieve bloating, flatulence and abdominal pain.
- Can be used to balance the blood sugar levels and to treat urinary tract infections.
- It acts as a cardiac tonic and improves the heart metabolism.
- It has aphrodisiac properties which can improve the vigor.
- It acts as an appetizer, improves taste and digestion strength.
- Can treat intestinal worm and intestinal infections.
- It can relieve nausea and vomiting.
- Jaiphal can reduce the allergic rhinitis.
- It is a natural detoxifier which improves the skin tone and complexion.
- It improves deep sleep and treats insomnia.
- Paste made of Jatiphal can relieve headache and joint pains.
- Useful in convulsions and epilepsy.
- Used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
- The oil acts as a stimulant and is applied externally on penis to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Jatiphal is extensively recommended in pregnancy.
- Jaiphal is used to treat cold in infants.
- It is known to relive depression.
- It boosts immunity and resistance power.
- It can detoxify kidneys and liver.
- Excess intake of Jatiphala might cause stomach pain, hallucination, restlessness or allergy.
- Over-dosage of Jatiphala might cause convulsions, weak pulse, hypothermia, nut allergies giddiness, nausea and vomiting.
Important Ayurvedic Formulation: Jatiphaladi Churna
Jatiphaladi Churna benefits:
It helps relieve sprue, cough, cold, useful in Asthma, chronic respiratory conditions, anorexia, running nose.
Synonyms: Jatiphaladi Churna, Jatiphaladi Choornam
Effect on Tridosha – Calms Vata and kapha
Jatiphaladi Churna dosage:
1 – 3 grams along with water, once or twice daily after food or as advised by Ayurvedic doctor.
It is usually given along with honey.
How long to use?
It is usually administered for a period of 4 – 6 weeks of time.
In higher doses, it may cause burning sensation and gastritis.
People with diabetes best avoid this, as it contains sugar as an ingredient.
Ayurvedic Companies which Manufacture Jatiphaladi Churna