Yeast Infection in Women and It's Home Remedies
|Vaginal Yeast Infection|
Yeast Infection in Women
Vaginal yeast infection is a common fungal infection of the genitals. It causes inflammation, irritation, itching, and vaginal discharge. It most commonly affects women, but men can get it too.Vaginal yeast infections, also called vaginal Candidiasis or vulvovaginal Candidiasis (VVC), are experienced by as many as 3 out of 4 women during their lifetime. Most women experience at least two infections.
If this is your first time experiencing the symptoms of a yeast infection, you should visit a gynecologist to verify that you actually have a yeast infection.
What is a vaginal yeast infection?
A vaginal yeast infection is an infection of the vagina that causes itching and burning of the vulva, the area around the vagina. Vaginal yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Candida.
Are some women are more at risk for yeast infections?
Your risk for yeast infections is higher if:
- You are pregnant
- You have diabetes and your blood sugar is not under control
- You use a type of hormonal birth control that has higher doses of estrogen
- You douche or use vaginal sprays
- You recently took antibiotics such as amoxicillin or steroid medicines
- You have a weakened immune system, such as from HIV
Yeast Infection Symptoms
signs and symptoms include:
- Burning, redness, and swelling of the vagina and the vulva
- Pain when urinating
- Pain during sex
- A thick, white vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese and does not have a bad smell
You may have only a few of these symptoms. They may be mild or severe.
Yeast Infection Causes
Yeast infections are caused by overgrowth of the microscopic fungus Candida.
Your vagina may have small amounts of yeast at any given time without causing any symptoms. But when too much yeast grows, you can get an infection.
Seeing your doctor or nurse is the only way to know for sure if you have a yeast infection and not a more serious type of infection. Know about Prescription Treatments for Vaginal Yeast Infections by Doctors.
The signs and symptoms of a yeast infection are a lot like symptoms of other more serious infections, such as STIs and bacterial vaginosis (BV). If left untreated, STIs and BV raise your risk of getting other STIs, including HIV, and can lead to problems getting pregnant. BV can also lead to problems during pregnancy, such as premature delivery.
How can I prevent a yeast infection?
You can take steps to lower your risk of getting yeast infections:
- Do not douche. Douching removes some of the normal bacteria in the vagina that protects you from infection.
- Do not use scented feminine products, including bubble bath, sprays, pads, and tampons.
- Change tampons, pads, and panty liners often.
- Do not wear tight underwear, pantyhose, pants, or jeans. These can increase body heat and moisture in your genital area.
- Wear underwear with a cotton crotch. Cotton underwear helps keep you dry and doesn't hold in warmth and moisture.
- Change out of wet swimsuits and workout clothes as soon as you can.
- After using the bathroom, always wipe from front to back.
- Avoid hot tubs and very hot baths.
- If you have diabetes, be sure your blood sugar is under control.
Yeast Infection Home Remedies
Find out about some popular home remedies for yeast infections:
- Plain Greek yogurt is the best kind to use for this home remedy. Make sure that the yogurt doesn’t contain added sugar, which fuels growth of the Candida fungus.
- Probiotics help restore the bacteria-yeast balance throughout your body. If you start a regimen of oral probiotics that contain strains of the lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria, you can bring your digestive tract and vaginal flora back into alignment.
- Coconut oil is effective home remedy. To treat a vaginal yeast infection using coconut oil, be sure to buy pure, organic coconut oil. You can apply the oil directly to the affected area.
- Tea tree oil is incredibly powerful. Make sure to dilute it with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil if you’re going to use it as a vaginal suppository. Tea tree oil is an essential oil that’s used to kill fungi, bacteria, and viruses. You can buy tea tree oil online and in some grocery or health food stores.
- One popular yeast infection remedy is an apple cider vinegar bath. When you add a half cup of apple cider vinegar to a lukewarm bathtub and soak for 20 minutes, the acidic component of the vinegar is supposed to eliminate any harmful microorganisms.
- Vitamin C is an immune system booster. A strong immune system allows your body to bring itself back into balance. So can use vitamin C chewables as remedy and eat fruits rich in Vitamin C
Important: Most home remedies bring relief within a few days. Some may take up to a week. See your doctor if your symptoms worsen or if new symptoms appear at any time during treatment. Also see your doctor if you have persistent irritation that’s separate from your yeast infection symptoms.
If your infection goes away with treatment but then returns, contact your doctor for advice. You may need a prescription-strength treatment.