Health Benefits of Dates
|Health Benefits of Dates|
Nutrition Profile of Date
The number of calories in 100gms of dates is 282; the nutritional breakdown of 100gms of dates is as follows:
Energy 282 kcal
Protein 2.45 g
Carbohydrate 75.03 g
Sugar 63.35 g
Fat 0.39 g
Saturated Fat 0.032 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.036 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.019 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Fibre 8 g
Sodium 2 mg
Potassium 656 mg
Amazing Benefits of Dates:1. Helps in relieving constipation: Dates are full of soluble fiber which helps in regulating bowel movement. Dates are very popular as natural laxative because of this property.
2. Lowers cholesterol: The dietary fibers present in dates prevent LDL cholesterol absorption in the stomach.
3. Reduces risk of colon cancer: Due to its laxative properties, dates reduce the risk of colon cancer by binding to the colon and protecting the lining of the colon which otherwise gets attacked by cancer causing chemicals.
4. Has anti-oxidative properties: Dates contain a substance known as tannins which are known to have anti-inflammatory, anti- infective and anti-haemorrhagic properties.
5. Strengthens vision: Rich in vitamin A, dates provide ample nutrition to aid the health of the eyes thereby strengthening the vision. It is also known to benefit the health of skin and lungs.
6. Also helps in other preventing the risk of other kinds of cancer: Dates are rich in ß-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, these antioxidants protects the cells of the body from the harmful effects of free radicals, thereby protecting the body against colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers.
7. Gives instant energy boost: Dates comprise of simple sugars which can be easily digested by the body and hence provide instant boost of energy.
8. Increases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood: Iron being one of the main components of dates, they enrich your blood with more iron which helps in carrying more oxygen.
9. Regulates blood pressure and heart health: Being rich in potassium, dates help in regulating our blood pressure and helps stabilize the heart rate, hence protecting against different heart and coronary diseases.
10. Strengthens bone and teeth: Calcium, manganese, magnesium and copper are abundantly present in dates and they help in building the strength of the bones by ensuring proper absorption of these minerals for formation of bones and teeth, blood clotting and muscle contraction.
11. Increases the metabolic rate: Dates also contain B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It also contains pyridoxine(vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. All of these vitamins and minerals help the body in conducting metabolic reactions, thereby increasing the metabolic rate of the body.
12. Improves brain activity: The amount of B6 in dates contributes to the manufacturing of different neurotransmitters which help in better brain activity.
13. Relieves stress and anxiety: Dates help in relieving stress and anxiety by producing calming effects in the brain
Benefits of eating dates in the morningDates help in boosting body energy levels quickly. It’s laxative nature that helps cure common constipation problems. The higher levels of soluble fiber relax the bowel movements. Eating 2-3 dates on an empty stomach can provide a lot of benefits. Eating dates on regular basis can take care of your daily required intake of dietary fiber.
Side effects of dates
Dates has high glycemic properties excessive intake can result in weight gain. Dates have an average glycemic index (GI) of 103, which is very high and not recommended for people on a weight loss program or suffering from high sugar levels.
How to Include Date in Your Diet
How to Include Date in Your Diet
You can include it with milk, fruits, salads or bread. Its sweet and can be eaten when you are having a sugar craving. But limit your intake. Eating 10 gms of dates would provide 23 calories with lots of fiber along. It is fattening if you don’t check the portion and eat more than required as in the case of other foods also. But people who have sugar problems especially those with Type 2 diabetes should avoid eating dates as it is not good for their health.