Amaranth (Cholai) - a Hearty Vegetable
|Amaranth Superfood Rich in Iron & Calcium|
What is Amaranth?
Amaranth Leaves - Power house of Nutrition
Cholai comes in two varieties, green stemmed leaf and red stemmed. The red stemmed variety is more sour than the green stemmed variety. A few years back, the seeds (rajgira) of the plant had gained much popularity for their health benefiting properties because of which they were caped under the superfood segment. But tracing back history, amaranth seeds were the staple food of the Aztecs and have been used for centuries to make many dishes.
Health Benefits of Amarnath(Cholai):
Some of the health benefits of amaranth is that.
- The high presence of iron in amaranth leaves help iron deficiency which is the main cause of anemia.
- It can fight gray hair and hair loss. With the natural juice of amaranth leaves applied to hair can stop hair fall.
- The calcium it contains (like all leafy veges do) reduce the risk of osteoporosis and other calcium deficiencies.
- It also can improve eyesight with the help of vitamin C.
How we can include it in routine;
- You can make Cholai saag , cholai sabji , daal cholai , alloo cholai etc. Another way to eat this green is to it can be stuffed in chappatis and chelas etc..
- Amanranth leaves is popular in the state of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Manipur, Tripura and also Mizoram.
- It is a summer crop, and the hotter the place, the more sour the leaf gets.
- So, hunt for the good quality leaves and make yourself and your family healthy.
You can Buy Amaranth Online
- Urban Platter Rajgira Atta, [Amaranth Flour, Gluten-Free, Protein-Rich]
- Truefarm Foods Organic Amaranth Organic Amaranth Seeds
Note: Amaranth leaves contain good amounts of oxalic acid and hence people suffering from kidney diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and gout should avoid consuming frequently this leafy vegetable in large amount.
By Dr. Richa Garg