What are the Benefits of Surya Namaskar
|The Sun Salutation: 12 Yoga Poses|
Surya Namaskar is a complete workout for the physical system – a comprehensive exercise form without any need for equipment. But above all, it is an important tool that empowers human beings to break free from the compulsive cycles and patterns of their lives.
Surya Namaskar means to bow down to the sun in the morning. The sun is the life source for this planet. In everything that you eat, drink and breathe, there is an element of the sun. Only if you learn how to better “digest” the sun, internalize it, and make it a part of your system, do you truly benefit from this process.
Physical Benefits of Sun Salutation?Sun Salutation comprises a sequence of 12 yoga postures, best done at sunrise. If done fast, it provides a good cardiovascular workout. If done at a slower pace, these postures help tone the muscles and can relax the system and meditative. Regular practice of Sun Salutation improves the functions of the heart, liver, intestine, stomach, chest, throat, and legs – basically, the whole body. The process purifies the blood and improves blood circulation throughout the system and ensures proper functioning of the stomach, bowel, and nerve centers. Practicing Sun Salutation daily helps balance the three constitutions – Vata, Pitha and Kapha – that the body is made up of, according to Ayurvedic science. Sun Salutation is also known to enhance the physical strength of a person.
Yogis say that doing 12 sets of Sun Salutation means doing 12 powerful yoga asanas within 12 to 15 minutes.
Maximizing the Benefits of Surya Namaskar
- Bathe in cool water to charge the cellular structureBefore starting your practice, take a shower or a bath using water that is a little cooler than room temperature. If a certain volume of water flows over your body, or your body is immersed in water that is cooler than room temperature, the epithelial cells will contract and the intercellular spaces will expand. If you use warm or hot water, the pores of the cells will open up and absorb water – that is not what we want. For the practice of yoga, it is important that the cells contract and the intercellular spaces open up, because we want the cellular structure of the body to be charged with a different dimension of energy. If the cells contract and allow space in between, practicing yoga will charge the cellular structure.
- Rub sweat into the skin to retain energy
Whether you practice asanas, Surya Namaskar or Surya Kriya – if you start sweating, do not wipe off the sweat with a towel – always rub it back, at least into the exposed parts of your skin. If you wipe off the sweat, you drain the energy that you have generated with the practice. Water has the capability to carry memory and energy. That is why you should not wipe off sweat with a towel, drink water, or go to the bathroom during practice time, unless there is a special situation that makes it absolutely necessary.
And, after practicing yoga, wait a minimum of 1.5 hours before taking a shower – three hours would be even better.
- Learn to consume the right amount of water
Learn to just drink as much as the body needs. Unless you are in a desert or you have habits that dehydrate you – such as excessive consumption of caffeine and nicotine – there is no need to constantly sip water. About 70% of the body is water. The body knows how to manage itself. If you drink according to your thirst plus an additional 10%, it will be enough. To give an example – if your thirst is gone after two sips of water, drink 10% more. That will take care of your body’s need for water. Only if you are out in the sun or trekking in the mountains, sweating heavily and losing water rapidly, you need to drink more – not when you are doing yoga under a roof.
30 Benefits of Sun Salutation
When done daily, systematically, correctly and faithfully , the Surya Namaskar
- Strengthens the entire digestive system (including stomach, pancreas, intestines, liver, etc.) and cures, and prevents constipation.
- Invigorates the nervous system (including the brain, spinal cord, lower plexus, and cures brain-fag, forgetfulness, worries and other forms of mental derangement.
- Invigorates the heart and will cure and prevent blood pressure, palpitation.
- Develops the lungs, gives you wind and prevents tuberculosis.
- Improves the quality and circulation of the blood. Active circulation of the blood is the first law of health.
- Stimulates glandular activity; gives a new vivacity to the glands. Owing to the stretching and compressing movements of the throat and neck the thyroid gland is stimulated and any tendency to goiter is obviated. Correct glandular functioning governs health and attractiveness.
- Improves the color and function of the spleen by enabling it to eradicate toxic impurities through profuse perspiration and to absorb vital energy from the atmosphere. A clear skin glowing with ruddy health and vigor is a winning factor for men and women in business and social life.
- Strengthens the neck, shoulders, arms, wrists, fingers, back, stomach, waist, abdomen, intestines, thighs, knees, calves and ankles. Strengthening the back is known to be a simple but efficient remedy for kidney troubles.
- Improves and develops the chest, i. e. keeps it hard, firm and elastic; restores it to normal loveliness.
- Improves the uterus (womb) and ovaries removes menstrual disorders such all dysmenorrhea and consequent pain and misery.
- Child-bearing is less painful and more easy. All discomforts from menopause vanish.
- Will rid women of morning sickness and perverted taste and appetite, peculiar to pregnant women and regarded as inevitable.
- Increase the quantity and improves the quality or milk in nursing mothers.
- Proven to halt falling of of hair, and its tendency to grayness and prevents baldness by increasing nutrition to the hair and scalp, and the bonding of the neck backward and forward, insures good circulation to the bead.
- Eradicates sexual debility, and the special weakness of men and women.
- Reduces redundant fat, especially the fat about the abdomen, hips, thighs, neck and chin.
- Will remove kidney troubles. Strengthens the stomach, neck, back, and chest by the mere rolling of the stomach towards the spine, as in some of the positions of Surya Namaskar. The positions include Pranamasana, Hasta Uttanasana, Hastapaadasana, Ashwa Sanchalana, parvatasana, Ashtanga Namaskara, Bhujangasana, parvatasana, Ashwa Sanchalana,Uttanasana, Hasta Uttanasana, Pranamasana.
- Destroys the offensive odor of perspiration.
- Improves knock-knees in walking.
- Will increase the height of the body if the positions are correctly performed.
- Will produce direct mechanical effect upon the alimentary canal and will prevent and cure constipation.
- Not merely gives you external form, shapeliness and muscle of the body, but improves and normalizes the function of most of the vital internal organs.
- Makes you immune from disease by tremendously increasing your disease-resisting power.
- Takes you step by step quickly, easily, surely, from your present condition to the very height of physical perfection.
- Is the quickest method for increasing and maintaining youthful buoyancy. The spirit of youth represents an invaluable asset. It is wonderful and satisfactory to know that you are fit and getting the most out of life. Then you have the jump on your follow man.
- Gives you poise, mental as well as physical.
- Endows the performer with more mental and psychic power and instills a theistic attitude in her or him gradually. It increases the power of mental concentration, optimism and self-confidence.
- Is the foundation of healthy and sane life and will be of incalculable benefit to you throughout your life. Long, systematic, continuous and daily practice of Surya Namaskars and right diet, will, in addition to vibrant health and radiant energy, invariably create in you a dislike for all stimulants and sedatives; an aversion to hot things such as capsicum or chilly, pepper, spices and condiments; a lack of relish for fried articles in general; and to top them of, generates in you the inestimable habit of abstemiousness, which will help you to live long.
- Will generate in you good thought, optimistic thoughts; will give a charitable and sanguine turn to your disposition and will imbue you with a spirit of self-sacrifice for the good of your community, family and your country.
- And will, in short, unlock the door to glorious Health, Strength, Efficiency and Longevity, which God intended for you. You will thus see that the Namaskars possess the unique feature of co-ordinated actions of all the vital organs, nerves, muscles and other parts of the system, which are stimulated, developed and strengthened simultaneously, a result not achieved by any other single exercise.