Tridoshic Dal - Ayurvedic Recipe
Here’s how you can prepare this Tridoshic dal at home:
- 1 cup split moong dal
- 8 cups of water
- 2 cups summer squash, in ¼ to ½ inch slices
- 1 cup carrots, in ¼ to ½ inch slices
- 1/8 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or cow ghee
- ¼ teaspoon of haldi or turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 small hot green capsicum, chopped finely (If you have pittadosha don’t add this)
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- ½ teaspoon to 1 table spoon black mustard seeds (Add only a little for pitta, and greater amount for vata and kapha)
- Heat one tablespoon oil or ghee.
- Add hing and cumin seeds. Then add all the spices and two teaspoonfuls of water. Sauté for 30 seconds over low heat but don’t let the spices burn.
- Add the beans and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add chopped vegetables and stir it for another minute or two.
- Add water, salt, ginger and pepper, bring to a boil on high heat. Then cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Let the dal simmer for 45 minutes.
- Take another remaining tablespoon of oil or ghee, add cumin and mustard seeds, and let them pop. Add it to the dal finally.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
We hope you will benefit from this nutritious, healthy and easy-to-make Tridoshic dal which is well-suited for all dosha types.