Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose) | Yoga Practices | Health Benefits
Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. It is also a part of the Padma Sadhana yoga sequence. ‘Sarv’ means all, ‘anga’ means part of a body, and ‘asana’ is posture. As the name indicates, Sarvangasana influences the functioning of all parts of your body. This asana is highly beneficial in maintaining the mental and physical health and is also referred as ‘Queen of asanas’.
Stretches: Shoulder, Neck
Preparatory poses: Halasana, Virasana, Setubandha-sarvāṅgāsanaPose type: Inversion
Also known as: Supported shoulderstand, Shoulderstand, Salamba sarvangasana
How to do Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand)
Health Benefits Of Shoulder Stand
- It aids digestion.
- It helps relieve swollen legs.
- It helps calm a headache.
- It relaxes the mind.
- It improves circulation to the upper body and brain.
- Stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands and normalizes their functions
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders and keeps the spine flexible
- Stretches the heart muscles by returning more venous blood to the heart
- Brings relief from constipation, indigestion and varicose veins