The Natural Psoriasis Home Remedies
Psoriasis is a non-infectious, inflammatory disease of the skin. It is characterized by well-defined erythematous (reddish) plaques with large adherent silvery scales. The main abnormality in psoriasis is an increased proliferation of the skin layers due to excessive division of the cell in the basal layers of the skin. Severe itching may associate with the plaques. Dryness of the skin and silvery scaling are characteristics of this condition.
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis can be considered as the vitiation of Vata and Kapha. (Two of the basic energies/humors, which maintains our body equilibrium) Accumulation of low potency poisons (Dooshi vishas), are the basic pathological changes taking place in the system. Irregular food habits, consumption of foodstuffs that cannot be eaten together (Eg: diary products with fish), excessive intake of yogurt, black gram, seafood, sour and salted items etc can activate the pathogenesis. Alcohol and tobacco consumption will act as a catalyst here. Ayurveda do emphasize on the effect of stress in the pathogenesis of Psoriasis.
Coming to the treatment aspects of Psoriasis according to Ayurveda, it aims at the detoxification of the body or elimination of toxins from the body fluids. It is achieved by "Panchakarma" treatments.
People suffering from Psoriasis should follow strict diet regime as vegetarian. Yogurt, black gram, chilies and salted thing have to be restricted. It is better to avoid refrigerated/chilled foods. Psoriatic must keep a state of mental calmness.
Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Psoriasis :
Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum)- Kakmachi - The juice of the leaves of the black nightshade can be applied locally on the affected regions. It helps in reducing the inflammation of the skin, and also has beneficial properties in allaying the pain and the itch.
Garlic (Allium sativum) - Garlic is a blood purifier. Eating a few cloves of garlic every morning on an empty stomach filters the toxins out of the blood and provides protection against psoriasis. Read more about Garlic >>
Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum) - The flowers of the jasmine have good effects in the treatment of psoriasis. The flowers are crushed, made into a paste and are directly applied on the inflamed parts. This application reduces the pain and the itchiness of psoriatic inflammations.
Guggul is an Ayurvedic herb from a resin of a small tree, which grows in northwestern India, its useful in treating psoriasis. It has anti-inflammatory and lipid-lowering actions, helps remove fat, excess fluids from the body and penetrates deep into the tissues. It is a effective Kapha- and Vata-pacifying supplement. Kaishore guggul is useful remedy for psoriasis.
Neem is one among the best blood purifier and detoxifier known to Ayurveda. It enhances immune system and neem oil is an antiseptic in itself. Leaf extracts are used in antiseptics and can be effectively used in treating psoriasis. It destroys fungus and bacteria and is best for almost all kinds of skin diseases including redness of skin and itching.
Turmeric – the spice has a long history in Ayurveda, and is a primary component for cooking. The powdered form can be used with food, or is available as capsules as a dietary supplement. Due to the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, it relieves the pain, swelling and inflammation associated with psoriasis, arthritis etc. Read more about Turmeric >>
Some effective natural psoriasis treatment:
- The use of curd in the form of buttermilk has proved useful in psoriasis and the patient should drink it in liberal quantities.
- Do not control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowel emptying etc.
- Avoid taking spicy food and consume only easily digestible food.
- Do not eat too much of salty, sour or acidic foods
- Avoid consuming opposite foods
- Include more fruits, vegetable, fruit juices in your diet. Bitter gourd, curd, boiled vegetables, pumpkin etc... are good psoriasis diet.
- Avoid animal fats, eggs, processed canned foods from your diet.
- Application of avocado oil gently on the effected part is found to be an effective treatment.
- Cod liver oil, lecithin, linseed oil, vitamin E, and zinc fasten the healing process.
- Apply moisturizing cream or gel at regular intervals to maintain the moisture level of the skin.
- Avoid using soap while taking bath instead use gram flour and use a herbal scrubber.
- Avoid pricking, peeling and scratching skin
- Use separate, clean clothes and towel for your use.
- Taking bath in sea water is found to be very effective in psoriasis treatment.
- Drinking fresh bitter gourd juice mixed with one teaspoon of lime juice on an empty stomach is an effective psoriasis treatment
- Applying aloe vera cream thinly to irritated skin and rubbing lightly is effective.
- Mental health is absolutely necessary for an effective treatment of psoriasis. Try deep breathing and relaxation exercise to reduce stress.
- Exposing to mild sunlight daily for 30 minutes will improve the texture of the affected area of the skin.
Psoriasis Treatment Available at