Peepal Tree Health Benefits
Sanskrit name: Ashwatha, Pippala
English name: Peepal tree, Sacred fig
Hindi or common name: Pipal, pipli, pipar
Scientific name: Ficus religiosa Linn
- Controls diabetes: In India, diabetes is a disease of serious concern because of the fact that increasingly many people are being diagnosed of this disease. Studies are shedding light on the possible use of peepal extracts in diabetes. Diabetes induced rats showed a significant drop in the blood glucose levels after being administered with peepal extracts. Apart from glucose levels, even cholesterol levels had also been controlled.
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties: The leaf extracts of peepal contain anti-inflammatory as well as analgesic properties which are effective in controlling rheumatic pains and arthritis.
- Anti-convulsant properties: Studies on peepal fruit extracts indicate that they possess convulsion preventive properties. This was tested on lab rats which were given electric shocks along with picrotoxin and pentylenetetrazol chemicals. Final results showed that peepal fruit extracts had reduced convulsions resulting from the electrical shocks and chemicals. The extracts were also helpful in inducing deep sleep on the subjects.
- Anti-microbial properties: The leaf extracts of Peepal were studied for their anti-microbial properties. Studies showed control of various bacteria and fungi such as Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger.
- Wound healing properties: The leaf extracts of Peepal showed wound healing properties. Wounds like excision and incision wounds healed faster when test subjects were given the leaf extracts compared to test subjects which were not given any medicine.
- Helpful in amnesia: In behaviour controlled environments for amnesia induced rats, fig extracts of peepal were investigated for their possible role in improving the memory of the subjects. Results showed significant improvement in rats which were given fig extracts, suggesting a positive relationship between amnesia control and peepal figs.
Marmalade made from tender leaves of peepal tree provides vitality and strength to the body.
Consuming the marmalade removes many heat related diseases.This also cleanses the kidney and allows urination without obstruction.Excessive burning of eyes due to pitta can also be treated using this marmalade.This is beneficial in pregnancy & menstrual related issues.Consuming this negates any fear of miscarriage.
One must never pluck leaves from peepal tree casually.First pray to peepal God," Oh,Lord I am using this for medicinal purposes,Please bless us".One must never cut a peepal tree as holy God element resides in it.
To strengthen the heart:
10 to 12 grams of tender peepal leaves extract and 1/4 th spoon powdered candied sugar(khadi sakar) to be taken in the morning & evening.
This makes the heart strong ,there will be no heart failures(heart attacks),this is also beneficial in the conditions like epilepsy & fits.