Health Benefits of Zucchini
Nutritional facts about Zucchini
Zucchini is mostly water and are quiet low in calories. Here are some nutritional facts about zucchini; it has about 34 calories, 6 g of carbohydrates, 2 g of fiber and 2.36 g protein. Vitamin such as vitamin A and C are present in good amounts. Also essential mineral such as potassium, phosphorus etc, these mineral are essential for all the tissues, organs and cells in the body.
- Zucchini fruits have low amounts of calories and contains folates, Vitamin A, potassium etc. Although they are available throughout the year, the best season for zucchnni is the summer seasons and late spring.
- It has low amounts of cholesterol which is great for heart patients and people with cardiovascular diseases. The vegetable is recommended by dieticians for reduction of weight and cholesterol.
- The peels of zucchini contain high amounts of dietary fiber which is required for the proper functioning of the digestive tract. Also it reduces constipation and protects the colon against cancers.
- The active compounds in the vegetable have the ability to scavenge for free radicals and reactive oxygen species. Reactive oxygen species and free radicals play a role in various diseases and aging.
- Folates are required in the process of DNA synthesis and cell division. Zucchini contains this important vitamin in moderate quantities.
- It is a great source of potassium; potassium is an important intra-cellular electrolyte. It reduces the blood pressure and heart rate by countering acting of the effects of sodium.
- Fresh zucchini has the rich amounts of vitamin A which is essential for maintaining the health of the eyes. Also fresh zucchini is a good source of vitamin C which is required in a range of processes and functions in the body.
- It also contains moderate amounts of vitamins of the B-complex group. These include pyridoxine, thiamine, and riboflavin. Zucchini also contains minerals like zinc, manganese, iron, and phosphorous which are essential for health and development.