Health Benefits of Potato
Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates; they are a fantastic fuel for our bodies.
They are the best and delicious source of starchy energy in our diets and in a world where carbohydrates are processed that they lack essential nutrients, the potato stand head and shoulders above the rest. Apart from starch potatoes also contain some protein, fibre and little or no fat.
- Potatoes are a very good source of potassium, and also have vitamin C which makes it good for health.
- Potatoes are a good source of both insoluble and soluble fiber. Fiber protects the colon against cancer and also increases the bulk of the stool thus preventing constipation.
- Fiber also slows down digestion and absorption of sugars in the gut. Thus it helps to maintain a normal level of sugar in the blood.
- Potatoes are a good source of B-complex vitamins which includes pyridoxine, folates, niacin, thiamine, and pantothenic acid.
- They also have adequate amounts of essential minerals like potassium, copper, phosphorus, iron, manganese, magnesium and potassium.
- Russet and red potatoes have good amounts of antioxidant flavonoids like zeaxanthins and carotenes and Vitamin A.
- Scientific studies have shown that the antioxidant called quercetin present in potatoes has a cardio-protective and anti-cancer properties.