Health Benefits of Almonds
#ayurvedafact: Almonds if eaten without soaking, they can aggravate Pitta in the blood. The best way to prepare them is to soak them overnight and peel the skin off in the morning. Then you can blend them with dates and raisins, which also reduce Pitta aggravation in the blood. Eat up to 10 almonds in the morning and evening.
Amazing Health Benefits of Almonds
Almonds are a simple, convenient and delicious snack. It is one of the richest sources of health promoting compounds among nuts. Just a handful of almonds will provide you with quite a bit of the daily recommended levels of vitamins, mineral and other nutrients.
Here are some health benefits of almonds which you can reap by adding these wonderful nuts to your diet:
- They are rich source of vitamin, minerals and fiber, also they are packed with phyto-chemicals which protect the body against cancers and a range of diseases.
- The Vitamin E and the flavonoids found in the skin of the nut work together and protect the health of the artery walls. This in turn reduces the chances of developing heart diseases. Also vitamin E has the ability to maintain healthy mucus membrane and also protect the cell membranes.
- The nuts provide the body with important B-complex groups of vitamins which includes niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, pantothenic, vitamin B-6 and folates. Makes it a good stress burster snack
- It also has the ability to reduce the blood cholesterol levels. Research has shown that consuming this nut regularly has the ability to reduce the risk of heart attacks to a great extent.
- They also provide us with essential minerals as they are an incredible source of potassium, manganese, iron, zinc, selenium and calcium.
- The phosphorus in the almonds has the ability to make bones and teeth stronger.
- They also help to alkalize the body which reduces the risk of osteoporosis, weight gain, low energy and poor immune function.
Ayurveda recommends sweet almonds instead of bitter ones.
Because of their sweet and warming quality, they are best for pacifying Vata dosha. They lubricate the skin and the micro-circulatory channels and support all the seven dhatus (tissues), especially Shukra dhatu (reproductive tissue).
Almonds are also good for Pitta, but people with Kapha imbalance should eat them in small quantities. Due to their heavy quality, you need a strong agni, or digestive fire, to metabolize them. If your agni is low, strengthen it first before you take almonds. The only people who should not consume almonds are those with high Pitta in the blood. An ayurvedic consultant can determine whether you have this condition and how to balance it.
Sweet almond oil is the best massage oil for Vata people, or those with a Vata imbalance. As almonds balance Vata when you eat them, almond oil pacifies Vata when applied externally. It penetrates the skin easily and nourishes the deeper layers.
Recommended Product: Khadi Sweet Almond Oil
Almond Milk is a Good Dairy Substitute!
Almond milk is a wonderful soothing drink that builds strength, immunity, and grounded energy. Its cool, heavy sweetness creates a sensation of stability and calm in the body, while offering easily accessible energy. For those suffering from lactose intolerance, Almond Milk is an excellent substitute any time you would use milk or cream. Almond milk is lighter and less drying than almonds. Almond milk rich in various nutrients is very good for health. It contains energy, protein, and minerals such as calcium, potassium, and sodium. Further, it is a good source of vitamin D and vitamin E that help in improving cognitive health along with skin care and hair care. Know more about health benefits of Almond Milk
Almond for Skincare & Natural Remedies
- Prepare a mixture by adding avocado oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil to a few drops of lavender and chamomile, and apply it on the affected areas. This is a very effective remedy for reducing stretch marks.
- Honey Almond Scrub for Cleansing 2 Tbsp almonds, 2 tsp milk, 1/2 tsp flour, 1/2 tsp honey
- Home Remedy for Headache
Take clove, cinnamon and almond in equal quantities (around 1 teaspoon each) and grind together with a little water to make a paste. Apply paste on the forehead. A paste made of sandalwood powder can also be applied on the forehead.
- Almond Oil massage on the scalp also relieves tension and headache.
Grind almonds in a blender. Add milk, flour and honey, mixing until a thick paste is formed. Rub into skin, rinse with warm water followed by the pH balancer.