Amla or Indian Gooseberry Health Benefits
Amla juice comprises of many minerals and vitamins such as carotene, phosphorus, calcium, iron and vitamin B complex; and hence, is a powerful antioxidant. It protects against oxidative stress by eliminating free radicals. It fortifies our liver, strengthens your lung, nourishes your brain, improves muscle tone, improves your urinary system and balances stomach acids. In fact, according to Ayurveda, regular consumption of amla juice promotes longevity. It is regarded as the juice of immortality or the magic potion which keeps you young and fit. Drinking amla juice twice a day can do wonders for your body and skin. It not only improves the appearance of your skin but also helps maintain proper body functions. It also makes your hair grow stronger.
- Twenty times as much vitamin C as orange juice.This vitamin improves the tannins that are required to shield heat and light. During summer season, this juice keeps your skin cool by sorting out heat from the body. It also acts as a shield against radiation by protecting you against the harmful UV rays.
- Solve the problem of Mouth ulcers & Good for Oral HealthDaily intake of amla juice wards off bad breath and strengthens teeth. Gargling with a mixture of water and amla juice can provide relief from painful mouth ulcers.
- Reduce arthritis pain .The anti-inflammatory properties in amla juice help in reducing the swelling in the joints caused by arthritis. By reducing inflammation, it also protects and eases the tissues of the digestive tract.
- Relieve stress & therefore cure sleep disorders like the insomnia.Amla juice is effective in curing insomnia. All you need to do is take fresh amla juice with a mixture of coarse powder of nutmeg; and experience a sound and peaceful sleep.
- Improving eyesight.Regular intake of amla juice helps in improving eyesight and nearsightedness as well as controls the onset of cataracts. It also minimizes intraocular tension. It counters problems like reddening, itching and watering of eyes.
- Controls Diabetes
Amla juice taken with turmeric powder and honey helps in controlling diabetes.
- Relieves Asthma And BronchitisDrinking amla juice with honey twice daily can relieve asthma and bronchitis complications. It also reduces the incidence of chronic cough, allergic asthma and tuberculosis.
- Burns FatAmla juice can cure obesity by increasing protein levels which in turn helps in reducing unwanted fat. It has the ability to create a positive nitrogen balance. It reduces the cholesterol levels, thus minimizing the risk of heart attacks.
- Relieves Constipation And PilesAmla juice helps in relieving constipation caused due to piles. It also regulates the bowel movements and cures chronic constipation.
- Treatment of Gastric DisordersAmla juice is great treatment for gastric disorders and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in abdomen).It is a good remedy for diarrhea and dysentery. Besides piles and constipation, it helps maintain healthy liver functions. Amla juice is effective in treating peptic ulcers and acidity. If you have acidity problems, you can take amla juice with pure ghee everyday twice a day.
- Blood PurifierAmla juice acts as a blood purifier by flushing out toxins from the body. Regular intake of this juice purifies your blood as well as helps increase hemoglobin and red blood cell counts.Amla strengthens the lungs, the respiratory system and the central nervous system of our body.
It is quite simple to prepare amla juice at home. Though it is usually sweetened by adding sugar, you can also add a little jaggery or brown sugar, salt and pepper to the drink to get a different taste. You can also flavor it with a little cardamom powder.
1 cup Amla (Indian Gooseberry), cut into pieces
A pinch of salt
A pinch of cardamom powder (optional) for a glass of amla juice
- Wash and dry the amlas and place them in a bowl.
- Adding 1 ½ cup of water to the pressure cooker, place the bowl in it. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and light the stove.
- Switch off the stove after one whistle. Remove the bowl from the stove when there is no pressure in the cooker.
- Now gently touch the gooseberry to see if it has cooled down. Press the amlas with in between your fingers to break them into pieces and remove the seeds.
- Grind sugar into fine powder.
- Grind the amla pieces. If you find it difficult to grind them, add some sugar powder and then grind them.
- To prepare the amla juice concentrate, mix the amla paste with sugar powder and salt.
- You can place this concentrate in a freezer safe box and store it in the freezer.
- You can add 2 to 3 spoons of this concentrate to a glass of water whenever you require amla juice. You can add some cardamom powder and stir well.
- This juice concentrate can be stored in the freezer for 8 months or more. However, it changes color in course of time.
- Since amlas are slightly bitter in taste, you can initially cook them in water. This will make them soft as well as ward off the bitter taste.
To preserve amla juice, ensure that the quantity of the juice is equal to the capacity of the jar. For instance, 500 grams of amla juice should be stored in a 500 grams capacity glass or a plastic container. Add 2 tablespoons of sodium lactate and mix well. This juice can be preserved in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 months. Sodium lactate is easily available at a chemist or any store that sells food chemicals.
Buy Related Products