Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes
Puffy or swollen eyes can be caused by fluid retention, stress, allergies, hormone changes, and other factors. Crying is often accompanied by swollen eyes because the tiny glands in the eyelids that produce tears become inflamed from over activity. Other times we get puffy eyes after sleeping. This can be caused by too much sodium in the diet, which causes water retention. Puffy eyes can also be caused by lack of sleep or excessive alcohol intake. Additional causes of puffy eyes include:
- Normal aging process
- Skin disorders such as dermatitis
- Dysfunction of tear glands
- Nephritic syndrome; puffy eyes may be the first sign of this condition
- Contact lenses
- Eye infections
For normal puffy eyes that are not caused by other eye conditions, there are many ways to reduce the swelling. The following is a list of easy home remedies to treat puffy eyes:
- Ice : Wash face with ice cold water or try some Ice or cold packs. The puffiness of the eyes can be reduced with the help of a glass of ice water and four stainless steel spoons. Chill the spoons in the water and then place one over each eye. Keep switching the spoons while letting the other one chill in the glass of water. Keep switching until you see improvement.
- Limit sodium intake
- Raw Potato: Slice a raw potato (after refrigerating for a couple of minutes) into two and circle the closed eyes gently with those halves. Place it on your eyes so that it also covers the puffed areas under your eyes and leave it like that for 15-20 minutes. You'll notice a tremendous change in those bags as they'll be diminished in size.
- Chilled Milk: If you have extremely puffed up eyes this is the regular regime that you will have to follow. Dip cotton pads in chilled milk and place on your eyelids and relax for 20-30 minutes. This well help your eyes in water retention and it would also cool them off .
- Vitamin E: Take chilled water in a bowl and add a few drops of vitamin E oil to it, now mix the two well. Dip cotton pads in this mixture and place on the eyes for 20 minutes, this well help in reducing the swelling around the eyes.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are a fantastic natural remedy to get rid of under eye puffiness. Take 2 slices of fresh refrigerated cucumber and place it on your eyes for 25 minutes. Relax with the cool soothing slices over your eyes and slip into a short nap, it will help refresh your mind as well as your eyes, and the anti-inflammatory properties of the cool cucumber will naturally help reduce puffy tissues.
- Tea Bags: If you are in a hurry and do not want to go with droopy eyes then teabags are the way to go. Moisten two tea bags in cold water and refrigerate them for a while. Then place them over your eyes for 25-30 minutes. Lie back and relax with the cool teabags over your eyes. Finish by washing your eyes and face with cold water, and dry your skin thoroughly. You would feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Eggs: Stiffly beat a few egg whites and apply it around your eyes with a brush. It will result in making the area around and under the eye feel tighter and look less puffy. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse your face in cold water.
- Green Tea: Settle down for 10-15 minutes with a chilled, steeped chamomile or green tea bag over each eye and then relax. The natural properties of these herbal teas will help bring puffy eyes back to their original size.
- Increase vitamin and mineral intake
- Hydrate your body: Drink as much water as possible. Yes, it seems counter-intuitive when you are retaining water, but hydrating reduces puffiness. So drink a glass of water whenever you notice your eyes getting a little droopy. If puffy eyes are caused by allergies, discontinue using the item that causes the allergic reaction; doctors may also provide shots or prescribe medication.
Quick Shop to Buy Related Products