Ayurveda Cellulite Busting Therapy - Udvartana
Also there is a large misbelief that Udvartana is only used as a treatment to lose weight, whereas Sushruta (Father of Ayurvedic Surgery), divides the Ayurvedic powder massages into three parts: Utsadana, Udgharshana and Udvartana.
Utsadana - Here different oils and powders are mixed together to form a paste and rubbed all over the body. These herbal powders and oils exfoliate and enhance the complexion and glow of the skin and are highly rejuvenating;
Udgharshana - This is a treatment where only powders which are dry and rough in nature are rubbed all over the body to induce the same qualities and remove the excess water and earth element (KAPHA). It is mostly used in obesity and diabetic cases.
Udvartana - Udvartana according to Sushrata is a body toning program, with application of a combination of prescribed herbal powder and oil on the entire body .It is used in the treatment to reduce fat and strengthen the body, at the same time taking care that the body does not become too rough and dry in the whole process.
So as you see according to Sushruta - Udvartana and Utsadana are the same treatments where herbal pastes made of different oils and powders is applied to achieve a specific result.
Where as Charaka (Father of Ayurvedic Medicine) gives only the term Udvartana for all the above. Thus as we see above, Udvartana can be used to lose weight, improve skin complexion, de-stress and relax and as a natural full body exfoliation treatment.
Points to Remember during the Therapy
- As compared to Abhyangam (Ayurvedic full body massage - explained in a previous article), this treatment will require more pressure and speed;
- Apply oil in between if the paste gets dry, as it may lead to a mild itching sensation during the rubbing movements;
- Remember to move your body with your strokes. Appropriate body position and movement will also ensure that you do not build up pain in your body while giving this treatment;
- During the long strokes, keep your legs wide apart, as it enables better and more uniform movement and pressure, which will also enable you to use your body weight and not the arm pressure.
- Reduced cellulite/ subcutaneous fat tissue;
- When taken as a part of a treatment program including a strict Ayurvedic diet plan, regular exercise or Yoga and appropriate internal Ayurvedic herbal medication as prescribed by the Ayurveda physician, it helps to reduce weight and gives a well toned body;
- Beautiful skin complexion;
- Cleanses and revitalizes the skin and removes body odour;
- Better skin tone - even if you are losing weight with exercises, other forms of diet etc. The best benefit of Udvartana, even when taken as a one-off treatment is that, it is one the very few treatments that de-stresses you , but at the same time also have an invigorating effect.(reduces Vata and Kapha);
- The blockages in the blood vessels are removed and pores open, removing body stiffness, facilitating better absorption of oils etc. through the skin.
Though the treatment is widely used to get a well-toned body, the actual outcome is highly individualized, based on the specific need; hence the consultation with the Ayurveda physician becomes extremely important. Based on the consultation, the Ayurveda physician chooses the appropriate combination of herbs and oils. This combination, especially chosen for the individual (depending on his/her body constitution, climate and ailment etc.) would yield the specific result that one is looking for.