Gout(Vatrakta) and Ayurveda Detoxification Therapies
renal function and renal stones. High blood uric acid levels could also leads to this condition without any history of pain. This condition is marked by fever and extremely painful joint inflammation with rapid onset.
Khuda means small joints. Since in this disease, the small joints are inflicted it is called as Khuda Vata
Adhaya means the rich class of people & those who are delicate. Since this class of people is generally inflicted with the disease, it is also called as Adhayavata.
The aggravated vata having been obstructed in its passage by aggravated blood, affects the entire blood.
- Shate Atiruk- Severe pain on injury
- Sandhi Shaithilyam- Laxity in joints
- Excess or absence of perspiration.
- Sedation like feeling.
- Acute pain on any kind of wound.
- Lack of sensation in knee, thigh, feet, shoulder.
- Unusual facial appearance.
- Karshnya- Blackness
- Sparshaagyatvam- Anaesthesia
- Aalasyam- Lassitude
- Sadanam- Malaise
- Pidakodgam- Appearance of boils
- Bhedo Gurutvam Supti Kandu - piercing pain, quivering, tearing, heaviness
- Numbness & itching in knee, shanks, thigh, waist, shoulder, hands, feet & joints of body.
- Sandhishu Rug Bhutva- unstable pain in joints.
- Vaivarnam & Mandalotpatt- abnormal complexion & appearance of patients.
- Excessive sleep during day time.
- Irritation & Anger.
- Consumption or eating during dyspepsia.
- Intake of diet consisting of an excess of sour, pungent, alkaline, fatty, hot & uncooked articles, moist or dried things, meat of aquatic & marshy animals, oil-cakes, radish, horse gram, black gram, nishpava and other leguminous. Vegetables, seasum paste, sugar cane, curd, sour gruel, sauvira, shukta (vinegars), butter milk, sura are asava also the causative factors
- Incompatible food
- Eating during indigestion
Enlargement of vessels, soreness, shivering and sharp pain, coarseness, exasperation, tightening of veins and joints, inflexibility and severe ache in body parts.
Inflammation with severe and sharp pain and swelling.
3. Control of Pitta
Over excitement, severe pain, acidic sensation after meals, weakness, dehydration, swelling and desiccation.
Sensation of Humidity, bulkiness and placid ache.
Some things need to be taken care of when treating this disorder:
- Psychological mystification.
- Sudden glitch.
- Loss of appetite.
- Sleepy feeling.
- Smoldering sensation.
- Inflexibility in body parts.
Ayurveda recommends therapies for prevention as well as for the management of this condition. Ayurvedic treatments for gout vary depending on the condition of the patient and the severity of the disease. Ayurvedic treatments for gout consist of detoxification therapies (Pancha karma), oral medicines and diet regulations. Snehanam-(Oleation), virechanam- (purgation), abhyanga-(massage), pradeha, pralepa-(medicated packs) and basthi-(enema) are the treatments suggested in the treatment of gout.
b. Pizhichil (Oil bath)- In pizhichil, lukewarm medicated herbal oil is poured all over the body. This treatment is very effective in rheumatic diseases like arthritis, Gout, nervous weakness and nervous disorders. This treatment is prescribed not only for rheumatic ailments (vatic disorders) but also for many other diseases like diabetes, blood pressure, fits, convulsions etc.
Home Remedies for Gout
A. Apples are good for gout
B. 3 ml of lemon juice mixed in 100 ml of water, thrice daily helps the kidney to detoxify
C. 30 ml French bean juice said to be effective in gout. It has to be taken for at least 30 days as one course
D. Cherries play a vital role in improving the anti oxidants in the system. Some naturopaths recommend 10 fresh cherries a day to keep the gout in control.
E. Carrot juice mixed with the juices of beet and cucumber acts as diuretic hence it is recommended for Gout
F. A charcoal bath is a good Home Remedy for Gout. Mix in old basin one half cup of charcoal powder with water until a paste is made. Place affected foot into the basin and add water until the foot is enclosed. Steep your foot in the charcoal bath for thirty to sixty minutes.
- Gokhshuradi (Sharngdhar Sanhita)
- Kaishor (Sharngdhar Sanhita)
- Panch Tikta Ghurta (Bhaisajya Ratnavali)
- Mahayograj (Sharngdhar Sanhita)
- Yograj (Bhaisajya Ratnavali)
- Sinhnad (Bhaisajya Ratnavali)
- Shrung (Ras Tarangini)
- Shankha (Siddha Yog Sangraha)
- Swarna Makshik (Rasendra Saar Sangraha)
- Praval (Ayurved Saar Sangraha)
- Dashmularishtha (Bhaisajya Ratnavali)
- Chandanasava (Bhaisajya Ratnavali)
- Maha Manjishthadyarishtha (Siddha Yog Snagraha)
- Samshamni (Siddha Yog Sangraha)
- Gandhak Rasayan (Ayurved Prakash)
- Punarnavadi Mandur (Ayurved Saar Sangraha)
Our eating and living habits, environmental factors etc produces toxins which usually accumulated in the body and ends up with conditions like Gout. Ayurveda’s five purification therapies (Pancha Karma) are primarily targeted to remove these toxins and rejuvenate the human system which in turn helps in prevention and management of Gout better than any other modern medical systems.
Watch Swami Ramdevs Yoga Tips on how to cure arthritis, joint pain, gout and osteoporosis. Swami recommends several exercises and medicines. Just click Play Video button below.