Home Remedies for Child Cough and Cold
Whether your child has a cough, a cold, or the flu, you can try these gentle, effective, and safe home remedies. A cold or flu usually takes about ten days to run its course. While none of these home remedies will shorten your child's illness, they may help him feel a lot better.
- Massage the child's chest with warm olive oil or warm ghee (add a pinch of salt for extra potency) for 1 to 2 minutes followed by a steam inhalation.
- Turmeric powder mixed in warm milk. Dosage: A pinch to tsp. of turmeric (according to the child's age) mixed in one cup of warm milk.
- Fresh Ginger juice with honey. Dosage: Half teaspoon of fresh ginger juice with one teaspoon of honey.
- Regular dose of half a teaspoon of Chawayanprash
- Lemon and honey mixed in warm water can be consumed twice a day. The high concentration of vitamin C improves the resistance of the body, lowers the toxic nature of the infection, and reduces the total duration of the cold.
- Cloves of garlic, boiled in water and consumed as a soup, provide relief from the symptoms of a cold. The antiseptic and antispasmodic nature of garlic mitigates the discomfort. The oil contained in the garlic is also beneficial in opening up the airways, thus facilitating better respiration.
- Ginger is also used as one of the home remedies for a cough and cold. Ginger tea, mixed with honey and drunk hot, provides soothing relief to the throat and clears the feeling of heavy headedness.
- Natural cold remedies also include the use of turmeric. The anti-inflammatory properties of this root can help ease the symptoms of a cold and rejuvenate the infected person. It is best to consume a hot glass of turmeric and ginger mixed in milk, before retiring for the night.
- To address a running nose a home remedy banks on the benefits of inhaling the vapors of turmeric, apple cider vinegar, or eucalyptus oil that can be added to steaming water water. This helps loosen the secretions, thus enhancing the discharge through your nose.
- Saline gargles are helpful to soothe an itchy and sore throat. The use of humidifiers may also be helpful, particularly if you spend most of your time indoors.
- 1 gram of dry Ginger powder, black pepper powder, cardamom powder, clove powder, cinnamon powder, turmeric powder. Add an equal quantity powdered sugar (i.e. 6 grams). Mix 1-4 grams of this mixture in honey or warm water. Dosage: Twice daily.
Dos and don'ts
- • Avoid cold and frozen foods, yogurt, banana and sour fruits
- • Take fresh and homemade preparations, hot drinks
- • Feet, head and chest should be properly covered