Learn how allergy relates to the immune system. You will begin understanding how and why certain people become allergic. The most common allergic diseases are discussed briefly and the natural remedies to cure them.
What does an allergy mean?An allergy refers to an exaggerated reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. Allergy-producing substances are called "allergens." Examples of allergens include pollens, dust mite, molds, danders, and foods. These allergens are substances that are foreign to the body and can cause an allergic reaction in certain people. Therefore, people who are prone to allergies are said to be allergic or "atopic."
Common allergic reactions include eczema, hives, hay fever, asthma attacks, food allergies, and reactions to the venom of stinging insects such as wasps and bees.
Allergy Symptoms & TypesAllergy symptoms can be categorized as mild, moderate, or severe.
Mild Allergy SymptomsMild allergy symptoms can include:
- Itchy, watery eyes
Moderate Allergy SymptomsModerate allergic reactions can include symptoms that spread to other parts of the body, including:
- Difficulty breathing
Severe Allergy Symptoms (Anaphylaxis)Anaphylaxis is a rare, life-threatening emergency in which the body's response to the allergen is sudden and affects the whole body. Allergy symptoms may begin with sudden itching of the eyes or face and within minutes progress to more serious symptoms, including:
- Varying degrees of swellings that can make breathing and swallowing difficult
- Abdominal pain
- Mental confusion or dizziness
Causes of Allergies- Dust, pollens, poisonous plants, serums, vaccines, animal hair.
Heat, cold and sunlight.
- Certain foods like nuts, wheat, oranges, milk, eggs, fish and other sea foods, chocolates, strawberries, tomatoes etc.
- Various types of chemical products like cosmetics, drugs.
- Genetics factor. It has been seen that twins generally possess the same kind of allergic disease.
- Certain refined, processed foods.
- Emotional and psychological stress etc.
Allergy Home Remedies
- Potato Flour: One of the popular home remedies for allergies like rash is to melt 3 full tbsp of potato flour in a glass of water. Add this to a bucket of water. Take a bath using this water. If you have a bath tub, fill it with more buckets and relax in the tub 2-3 times a day.
- Avocado: Apply avocado paste on rash.
- Green tea: Green tea has natural antihistamine and is one of the best home remedy for allergies. If you don’t like green tea, you can also have black tea. Chamomile tea is another alternative. Sweeten it with honey and have 2-3 times a day.
- Honey: Have 1 or 2 tsp of pure honey twice a day as honey is also considered to be good home remedy for allergies. You can also check out some more benefits of honey.
- Ginger: This a well tested and trusted home remedy for allergy. Crush a piece of ginger after peeling it and place it into a mug. Now add boiling water over it. Steep it for few minutes and have it at once. This is a mild decongestant and considered one of the best diet for allergies.
- Apple cider vinegar: You can apply apple cider vinegar after diluting it with little water on bug bites or hives to get relief from the itching. You can also put a little vinegar in a bathwater.
- Neem: Neem (Azadirachta indica) is another useful herb and in Ayurveda it is considered as best anti-septic and disinfectant. Neem juice is popularly used even today for blood disorders, skin allergies, boils, skin infections etc. For more information on this herb, check out Azadirachta indica.
- Castor Oil: If you have allergies of the intestinal tract, skin, and nasal passages, castor oil is a good option. Add five drops of castor oil in half a cup of water or any fruit or vegetable juice. Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning. This is very helpful.
- Lime: This is an effective remedy for any kind of allergy. Take a glass of of lukewarm water , squeeze half a lime in it and sweeten with a teaspoon of honey. Have this daily in the morning in an empty stomach. This helps you prevent getting allergic reactions. It flushes the system of toxins and is also antitoxic and antiallergic agent. This is also an effective weight loss technique. However, those who are allergic to citrus fruits should not resort to this remedy.
- Bananas: If you have skin rashes, digestive disorders, or asthma, you can have one or two bananas a day. Bananas are useful to those who are allergic to certain foods.
- Vegetable Juices: Vegetable juices like carrot juice mixed with beet and cucumber juices, has been proved to be beneficial in the treatment of allergies.
- Fresh fruit juices: One of the most ideal method to prevent or overcome allergies is to strengthen overall physical resistance. For this you should have a proper diet of nutrients which should include fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruit juice is very helpful for preventing allergies. For this the patient should fast on fresh fruit juices for a week. Repeated short fresh fruits juice fasts are likely to result in better tolerance to allergies.
- Other allergies treatments: Avoid stress, do meditation, exercise, yoga and mind control